Sunday, March 29, 2009

E-mail "Spies"

Dear invisible friends,

Today I bring to you a complaint, a nagging sense of uneasiness, an overwhelming terror that an unseeable something is going to capture us all. Wait! Don't sell the farm and head to your bomb shelter just yet. The force I'm talking about is one you may not be able to escape: personalized e-mail advertising. Nothing is safe anymore!!! When I open my g-mail account, somehow the adds in the margins mimic the subject of the e-mails I am reading. When my mom writes to me about Amy's ENT appointment, suddenly an add for an ENT appears. When I receive an e-mail congratulating me on Amy's first full night's sleep, the adds are about a newborn sleeping system. The words "baby" and "newborn" weren't even in the e-mail! Creepy.

However, I must admit that the e-mail scanning program--at least I hope it's a program--is not incredibly intelligent, since the ENT advertised practices in Boise, Idaho, and Amy had just reached the point where a newborn sleep system was useless. Still, how do they do that??? It's unnerving. Oh well. I suppose there's nothing we can do about it--unless we want to actually pay for e-mail service. Ha!

1 comment:

  1. If Email 'spying' is some sort of job I think it would be very weird scanning people's emails, you would feel like(well I would feel like)you are intruding someone's privacy. Hopefully though there are no such thing as Email spies!You should check it out, apply for email scanning or something.:)

    ReplyDelete