Monday, March 30, 2009

Sleeping Baby, Wistful Mommy

Hi friends,

I know sometimes I'm sarcastic and silly, but at the moment I'm feeling incredibly sentimental (very unusual), so be warned. Today Amy is sleeping in her crib for the first time. Man, I'm going to cry just thinking about it! Since she was born, she has been sleeping in a bassinet in our bedroom, but, in addition to outgrowing the little bed, she is getting to be a rather noisy sleeper. Unfortunately, I am a light sleeper, so for the last few days I have been waking up every few hours to false alarms like flailing arms and loud thumb-sucking. I have enough trouble sleeping through Brett's snoring.

I know it's time for sleeping mommy and sleeping baby to be separated by a wall, but it is just so sad! I can't even explain what's sad about it. Mommy feelings are so overwhelming. I think I'm upset because (I can't believe I'm saying this) she doesn't need me as much anymore. While she used to need me every two hours, now she can go a whole seven or eight without thinking about me at all. My little baby is growing up. It is a very strange feeling, and I'm not sure how to handle it. It's not like she's going off to college or anything--she's just moving into her crib for crying outloud! But somehow, this is a tough milestone for me. I love that little girl, and I'll miss having her only a few feet away at night. I guess I'm glad that life moves us forward when we might push the pause button forever.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi! I know exactly how you feel. It's tough being a mommy at times. I remember when my boys outgrew their bassinet. Then it came time for me to donate it because there wasn't enough room in our apartment and we have a pack-n-play with one. It was so hard for me to get rid of it. I still wish I never did. Oh well! Some times you have to be more practical. Sorry to brake it to you, but there will be other times in your life where you'll feel this way again. Like right now, that's the way I feel about my boys going into nursery. I guess that's one of the things that make motherhood so special! Some advice that I've been given is to enjoy every minute with your kids, they grow up too fast. Isn't that the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is another reason why we get married. Things like moving Trevor to a different room, weaning, etc. were hard for me but to Birch it just made sense. His confident reasoning helps me through a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete