Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Regular Day

Dear invisible friends,


I suppose you can't be called a "blogger" if your blog has one measly entry, so here I am again.

Things have calmed down quite a bit--I fortunately only have a truly terrible day every once in a while. In fact, things have been so nice that this post is doomed to boredom. No one likes reading happy things. For example, a couple weeks ago I was telling a story to my baby at bedtime, and my 13-year-old sister Lindsay was listening in. After five minutes or so of a happy story about a happy princess and her (also happy) six pet rats, Lindsay voiced a complaint: "Where's the problem? A story has to have conflict." Amused, I invented some "conflict"--dragon drag racing, an evil princess, even more evil parents of the neighboring prince, etc. Then Lindsay was satisfied--baby Amy was indifferent to both styles of narration. Anyway, as there has been little conflict (at least share-with-the-whole-world-on-your-blog conflict), you, like Lindsay, will most likely find yourselves wishing you were reading something with a little more spice.

The major happening in my life at present is adjusting to having an "awake" baby. I was finally mastering the challenge of sleeping in miniscule chunks at night--two to three hours at a time-- and getting things done while the baby slept during the day. Well what do you do when the baby doesn't sleep during the day?!? Now she only takes two naps and only for an hour or two at a time (I imagine the naps will only get shorter from this point on). It has been interesting, but somehow we'll manage. Today I figured out how to fold laundry with Amy in tow by wrapping her in the crook of one arm and pinning her to my side with my wrist so as to leave both hands "free." To do the dishes I tie Amy (and her pacifier) to my stomach and work new muscles as I scrub plates even further from myself than I did when I was pregnant. Needless to say, not much is getting done around here. I folded half the clothes and washed half the dishes today, and honestly, I don't know where the rest of the day went. I taught a piano lesson and made a salad for dinner, which together took about an hour, and ate breakfast (15 minutes) and lunch (30 minutes). Oh, and I took a shower and got out of my pajamas (a blessed 30 minutes)! I also took a wonderful one-hour nap. How much time does that leave between 8:30 and 5:00? About five hours! If one and a half of those were spent on the laundry and dishes I mentioned, that means three and a half hours were spent....??? Having a good time, you ask? Well, in a manner of speaking. I suppose those hours were spent taking care of the baby. :) She does eat a lot. And she is really cute and fun to play with. She's been babbling some these days, which is great. I think it's the best part of being a mom so far. I love hearing her "talk." I guess no time is "wasted," though it is really an eye-opener to look at the way I spend my day. We didn't even go on a walk today--you can imagine how "unproductive" those days are.

So welcome to my regular day. Don't worry too much. Now that I've laid it out for you once, I'll refrain from doing it again--until something changes. :) Happy Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to inform you dearest sister that they were squirells(however you spell thet) NOT rats. Those squirells played the Flying Squirell Game remember? Where the girl said they had 'fun' being tossed out a window and yell wheeeee!!! That was the story, I remember. :)
    Oh and you have an exciting day, better than my boring school. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was by me Squeezy! Sorry!!! :(

    ReplyDelete